Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Praising Him in the Hallway: Patience in the "In-Between" Times

God opens and closes doors in our lives.  Recently a door has closed for us-the door of what we thought was our future and the realization of our long-term goal of owning a home that our family could grow old in.  But when God blocks us from one path, He always clears the way for another, usually brighter and better, way.  Sometimes, though, there is space and time between the closing of one door and the opening of another.

It is in this space, this in-between time, that my faith is greatly tested.  You see, I am not the most patient person on the planet.  I like my life planned out and I like answers quickly.....like now, or 10 minutes ago.  Once I feel a path has been determined (and fortunately lately I have learned to wait on God's path rather than making my own!), I want to move forward-full steam ahead, all in!  This can be a valuable trait in many situations, but in many situations, it is more of a hindrance than a help.

Now that we know we are moving from the home we built and thought would be our family's home for hopefully multiple generations, I just want out.  I am ready for the next chapter in our lives.  We have (hopefully) found the rental house that this next chapter will unfold in and I am anxious to solidify our claim on this house and get our things moved in and start living our lives.  But, to my dismay, that is not the pace at which life moves....at least not in this situation.

Today, I have been filled with anxiety and anticipation, hope and fear, confidence and insecurity.  But, I am blessed with a husband who understands my processing of situations like the one we are in.  He has made calls, completed applications, dropped of checks, and arranged showings quickly so that I can feel that we are moving ahead timely and reducing our risk of losing my "dream property" just because we didn't act fast enough.  I am also blessed with friends that pray over me, specifically and generally (thank you, Megan!!!!). 

Through all of this, God is refining me.  Reminding me that He is always in control and He is always good.  Prompting me to praise him in the hallway while I am waiting for the door to open.  He is training me to avoid missing His blessings simply because I am too focused on what could be that I lose focus on what is.

So, dear friends, prayers are appreciated as we journey into this next chapter of life.  I look forward to sharing with you all the triumphs and failures, the joy and sadness, the experiences that God has laid out before our family.

Blessings,
Meri

No comments:

Post a Comment

Defining Moments

  Everyone has THAT moment that defines their life. Some people have multiple moments. Sometimes these moments are not welcome, not what we ...