Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Deep Dive Background

I actually had a life before I was married with children…I know-stunning.


My childhood was both VERY traditional and rather non-traditional.

 

When I was 18 months old, I was adopted by my biological mother’s sister. Let me pause right here to say that my “adoptive” mom is my real mom. She raised me, she loved me, she set a wonderful example of what a wife and mother should be. There is no question of who my real mom is…not ever.

 

Don’t get me wrong, I will forever be thankful for the choice that my biological mother made to give me up for adoption. I didn’t truly understand that sacrifice until I had children of my own.


My adoption was rather non-traditional. I knew my biological mother and also eventually my biological father and his parents. My relationship with them was…complicated.

 

I grew up in a safe, happy and stable home. My parents provided well for me-and not just financially. They set a wonderful example of what a good marriage looked like. They taught me so many life skills (some of them I even actually use in my life now). But, mostly, they made sure I knew I was deeply loved and wanted.


I could talk about wonderful memories of trips to Disney World, ski trips, vacations in the Caribbean, sailing trips and amazing holiday parties every year. And those are truly special memories. But what I have carried into my adult life is the example that they have set for me and the fact that they put so much effort into making sure I knew I was chosen by them to be part of their family.



Being an only child had it’s benefits…and it’s downfalls. I was raised mostly around other adults and, therefore, tended to connect better with older kids-most of my friends were 2-5 years older than me.

 

I also developed a refined palate at a young age. My mom did not cook a separate meal for me, I ate what the adults ate. There was no ordering from the kid’s menu at restaurants and I was not allowed to refuse to try a food I had never eaten, I had to try it-at least once. But now, I love all kinds of food and look forward to trying new things. I am willing to take chances, not just culinary chances, but chances in life.



Things I learned from my parents:

·         Life is tough, but I am tougher

·         In marriage, your spouse ALWAYS comes first. Even before your children. Fight me.

·         Anything worth having is worth working for

·         It’s important to plan ahead. But don’t consider your plans written in stone, you have to be flexible because you never know what life will throw at you

·         Integrity is everything. You are nothing without it.

·         Always honor your word.

·         Think before you speak. You can’t un-ring the bell and you can’t un-say the words.

·         Sticks and stones may break my bones…but words can also cause pain.

·         Words can be healing or dangerous…make sure you use them for the former.

·         Love is expressed in many different ways, life is not a Hallmark movie.

·         In the end, love is everything.  


Finally....aren't my parents pretty amazing??




 

F


F




No comments:

Post a Comment

Defining Moments

  Everyone has THAT moment that defines their life. Some people have multiple moments. Sometimes these moments are not welcome, not what we ...