Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Love Is...

Today is Valentine's Day and people all over will be getting flowers, cards, candy, and gifts.

But not me.

You see, I have already received the greatest gift, and it doesn't look anything like a heart-shaped box full of chocolates.



Let me tell you what love is to me.

  • Love is running to the store for the 3rd time in one day to pick up the one ingredient I need for supper.
  • Love is holding me while I cry while "Amazing Grace" was sung at the first church service we have been to since we buried our son. (That song was also sung at his funeral)
  • Love is cooking dinner when I am just too exhausted.
  • Love is picking me up a Starbucks coffee, even when it takes him miles out of his way.
  • Love is taking our girls to counseling and encouraging me to go as well, but still being patient with me until I was ready to talk.
  • Love is vacuuming the dog hair off the floor (with which we could probably make another dog!)
  • Love is giving in to my request for a puppy, even when he doesn't really want to go through the puppy training part again.
  • Love is encouraging our girls to pursue their passions.
  • Love is mourning and grieving with me when the pain of our loss is just too much to bear.
  • Love is taking us out to eat and spending waaaaay more than planned just to make his girls happy.
  • Love is listening to music he doesn't particularly like, but the girls love.
  • Love is knowing that I am having a hard time with the loss of our son without me having to say a word.
If you get flowers or candy or a gift today, I am so glad for you!  It's wonderful to feel special in that way.  But don't lose sight of the kind of love that really matters, the kind that will stay with you for the long haul, the kind of love that is without end, amen.

Blessings,
Meri


No comments:

Post a Comment

Defining Moments

  Everyone has THAT moment that defines their life. Some people have multiple moments. Sometimes these moments are not welcome, not what we ...