Thursday, March 8, 2018

Waiting in the In Between

My whole life seems to be stepping (sometimes leaping) from one major life event to the next.

My husband and I met in high school and became engaged before I left for college. 4 years later we were married on September 30, 2000.

About a year into our marriage, we (okay, I) decided we were ready to start our family. Our son was born on 5.31.02, followed by 2 daughters born 5.25.05 and 1.21.08.

While all of this family-making was going on, we bought and sold our first house and then bought our second house. I went through several job promotions and my husband started his own landscaping business.

Just when things seemed to ready to settle down, I received a job offer for a promotion that would relocate our family to North Carolina. So in January 2009 we packed up our family of 5 and moved to Greensboro.

A few short years later and another job change and promotion for me and a return to college to complete his degree for my husband and we built our dream house way out in the country.

And then in 2015 the bubble popped. We both lost our jobs, had to leave our home and start all over again. After that, it felt like one crisis after another, finally culminating in the heart-shattering loss of our 15 year old son, Logan, on 1.2.18.

Since then, it seems that we have been in a constant state of flux. Standing in a hallway lined with closed doors, just waiting to see which one would open. And during this time, we grew stagnant, operating under the mistaken belief that God only works through open doors.


But that, my friends, is not true. Some of God's greatest work is done "in between", waiting in the hallway for what may or may not happen next. And sometimes, probably more often than not, the door that He opens is not one we want to walk through.

Right now, we are in a season of waiting. Still learning how to walk this journey of pain and grief. Waiting in the hallway to see which door opens next and, to be perfectly honest, fearing what may lie beyond that door. But God exhorts us to "be still", even in the in between, in the hallway while we are waiting. Because there is purpose in the waiting.


I don't know what lies beyond the next door, but I know that I trust that He has a plan. It is not mine to understand, only to obey.

Blessings,
Meri

No comments:

Post a Comment

Defining Moments

  Everyone has THAT moment that defines their life. Some people have multiple moments. Sometimes these moments are not welcome, not what we ...