Saturday, March 31, 2018

The Art of Self-Care


 I believe parents in general, especially parents of young children and teens, tend to sacrifice themselves more often than not, for their children.

I know on this path of grief, we all seem to be in protection mode, not wanting to cause the others pain by exhibiting signs of our own inner turmoil.

What I have come to realize, is that self-care is as important that caring for one another.  I cannot be at my best to support my family if I am not taking good care of myself.

So what does self-care look like?  I think it's different for each of us.

Here are some things I find that feed my soul and settle my mind:
  • Reading a book. An actual paper pages book. Often, it is reading my Bible.
  • Drinking plenty of water. I have a propensity to drink sugary beverages, but it is so important for me to balance that with plenty of water.
  • Reach out to friends and family. Even if it's just a text or e-mail to check in.
  • Rest. Sleep. Enjoy a lazy Saturday or Sunday,
  • Don't over-extend yourself with activities. This especially applies to parents who have children involved in sports and other extra-curricular activities. Everyone in your family needs a day with nothing scheduled at least monthly.
  • Get out of the house. Take a walk. Take a ride. Roll down the windows and play your music loud. 
  • Write your "to-do" list on paper. This can help quiet your mind from trying to remember all of the things you have to do.
  • Give kindness. Smile at a stranger. Thank service providers for their efforts. Speak calm and kind words to all around you.

Your list may be different, these are just some things I have found that help me. What I do know is that if we, as parents, burn ourselves out trying to please everyone all of the time, we are truly doing a disservice to those around us because they are only getting the remnants of our time and hearts.

Blessings,
Meri

No comments:

Post a Comment

Defining Moments

  Everyone has THAT moment that defines their life. Some people have multiple moments. Sometimes these moments are not welcome, not what we ...