Monday, May 18, 2015

Help! I'm Failing as a Homeschooling Mom

There it is.  In my inbox, on my Facebook feed, on my Instagram homepage.  Every day.  Pictures of beautifully decorated (and might I add-sparklingly clean-rooms).  DIY projects, Bible studies I should start (and maybe even finish), great ideas for homeschool field trips, homemade this, handmade that.  They are mocking me.  Reminding me of all of those things I would get to "tomorrow".  Whispering to me that I am still not "good enough" and quite possibly never will be.

Comparison is a joy-killer.  There is no good purpose in holding my life up to what I believe is true of another's life.



Every now and then, in the midst of all of the reminders of what I am not, I find a lifeline.  An article or blog post from a fellow wife/mother/daughter/sister who is in the trenches with me.  A glimmer of truth among all of the shiny lies.  A ray of hope that I am not the only one, that there are others whose dishes don't get washed daily, whose floors are dirty, whose laundry piles seem to multiply rather than disappear, who just have days when the best they can do is go through the motions and pray everyone gets out alive.



What the enemy would have me believe, would have all of us believe, is that the shiny, clean, sparkling pictures presented on social media are the norm.  That those of us who have mismatched socks and piles of laundry are the exception-the ones not cutting it. 

But that is just not true, friend.  Everyone struggles.  Everyone hurts.

I'll be honest-after 2 job losses, 1 move, and dealing with chronic illness on a daily basis, I am just phoning it in when it comes to finishing the homeschool year.   If I can get all 3 kids to complete their computer work each day, I am counting it as a win.  All of the spelling lists, creative projects, and fun field trips I planned to "get done by the end of the school year" have fallen by the wayside.  I am more ready for this school year to end than my kids!  And that's okay.  It's all I have left in me right now and the truth is, I am giving all I have to give.

That's where God's grace comes in.

Grace for the homeschooling mom who's just going through the motions.
Grace for the working mom who just doesn't have anything left at the end of the day.
Grace for the stay at home mom who doesn't know where all the time goes each day.
Grace for the single mom who is worn thin from trying to satisfy the role of 2 parents in 1.
Grace for the mom who travels and whose heart aches to just hold her babies.
Grace for the mom whose children have all left home and is not sure what to do with the emptiness.
Grace for all of us.


Homeschooling Mom, Organic Mom, Working Mom, SAHM, WAHM, Single Mom, Lonely Mom, Traveling Mom, Crunchy Mom, Homesteading Mom.  His grace is sufficient for all of us.

Blessings,
Meri

No comments:

Post a Comment

Defining Moments

  Everyone has THAT moment that defines their life. Some people have multiple moments. Sometimes these moments are not welcome, not what we ...