Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Sugar Detox: Prep Week



I have recently made a decision to take back control of my health.

I have chosen to stop most pharmaceuticals and attempt to treat my fibromyalgia, chronic headaches, and other ailments with diet change, essential oils and other natural remedies.

This is a major step for me as well as my family.  I am thankful for a supportive husband and a great "crunchy" friend who is my Sherpa-guide for this crazy journey.  The whole clean food scene can be very confusing without a wise and knowledgeable sensei (mad props to my friend, Megan).



We will be following the 8-Week Sugar Detox Challenge from Natural Fertility and Wellness (available on Amazon here).

I plan to start each new week on Sunday, so we are preparing to start with our weekly grocery trip this coming Sunday.

This first week, we will be eliminating high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) from our diets.  That being said, there are some acceptable sugars we will be able to keep.

"Good" Sugars:
Honey (local, real honey)
Maple Syrup (100% pure)
Pure Organic Cane Sugar
Muscovado Sugar
Coconut or Palm Sugar
Molasses
Sorghum
Stevia


So far I have gotten rid of several items-some expected, some not so expected.  We will have to find a brand of Worcestershire sauce that does not contain HFCS (hopefully).  We are getting rid of the BBQ sauce (my son is not happy about this one), ketchup, and chocolate sauce.  Thankfully, my favorite condiment (Duke's Mayo) is safe, at least for now!

I am excited and intimidated at the same time.  I am also prayerfully seeking God's guidance in this process.  I know He has a plan for me and my family and I believe that plan includes a healthy lifestyle.

Blessings,
Meri





No comments:

Post a Comment

Defining Moments

  Everyone has THAT moment that defines their life. Some people have multiple moments. Sometimes these moments are not welcome, not what we ...