Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Come, Thou Fount of Every Blessing (She Reads Truth-Hymns)






I played the violin for many years, starting when I was about 3 years old.  My mother has a beautiful singing voice and I spent several years singing in the church youth choir as a teen.  I come from a musical background and I love music, all kinds. 

After spending so many years honing my musical talent, I have developed an ear for pitch and can quickly tell when an instrument is out of tune.  Unfortunately, I am not as adept at keeping my heart in tune.

Come, Thou fount of every blessing,
Tune my heart to sing Thy grace.
-Robert Robinson

I get caught up in my mostly-first-world problems and I lose track of God's grace and love.  Yesterday was one of those days.  I could hear the lies of the enemy seeping into my head.  I could hear him telling me I am worthless, no one cares about me or my problems, I am a bad mother, bad wife, terrible homemaker, etc.  Some of these lies have been on repeat since I was a young girl struggling to fit in at school, struggling to make friends, and spending a lot of time feeling very lonely.  I felt defeated, discouraged, and overwhelmed.  My heart was out of tune.
For while we were still weak, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly.  For one will scarcely die for a righteous person-though perhaps for a good person one would dare even to die-but God showed His love for us in that, while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
-Romans 5:6-8

The beauty of God's love and grace is that even when my heart is out of tune, He loves me!  So, I look to Him to help me get back in tune.  Prayer and study of His word helps get me back on track and brings my problems into an eternal perspective (where they really don't seem like problems anymore).  
 Blessings,
Meri

No comments:

Post a Comment

Defining Moments

  Everyone has THAT moment that defines their life. Some people have multiple moments. Sometimes these moments are not welcome, not what we ...