Friday, April 17, 2015

Friendship: Post 4

"Take two minutes to say 'I was thinking about you today' and, with a heart ready to hear and love-not compare-find out what God has been doing in their life.
-Crystal Stine 

Sometimes we get lost in the hustle and bustle of every day life.  Now that I am in my mid-30s and the mother of 3 busy children, wife of a wonderful husband who works full-time and is completing his MBA in his "spare time", and still working part time (from home), I find that it is easy to plan something on Monday to do "by the end of the week" and the next time I come up for air it's Friday night!

But, friends, it is so important to keep in touch with our friends.  I need my friends (the few close ones I have) and I need to know they are thinking of me....at least every now and then.  Because I need that, I know they need that.  Don't get me wrong-I have in now way mastered this process-but I have taken the first step by recognizing this need in myself and my friends.

It is necessary, especially for women, to have true and trusted friendships in their lives.  Social media is fun and definitely has it's place, especially when friends and family are far apart.  But we must be careful not to replace real, live relationships with virtual ones.  Taken to far, social media can alienate and separate rather than bring us closer.  I know that I still have a very real need for live phone conversations and face-to-face interaction.

The way I am learning to build these personal relationships is by being the friend that I wish I had.  Reaching out, being transparent, going first, and taking time to care about what is happening in the lives of my friends.  It means I have to go outside of my comfort zone sometimes.  I have to face down the possibility of rejection and hurt and tune out the lies of the enemy that tell me I am not enough, I am not wanted.

The result is that I am cultivating relationships that will be lasting and fruitful.  I am creating a stage on which I can launch a ministry of love and caring-I can show the love of Christ through being a good and caring friend and have that reflected back to me.


Take a moment today to let a friend know you are thinking about her (or him).

Blessings,
Meri




No comments:

Post a Comment

Defining Moments

  Everyone has THAT moment that defines their life. Some people have multiple moments. Sometimes these moments are not welcome, not what we ...